My husband’s grandma was an excellent cook and I am fortunate that she enjoyed sharing her recipes. This recipe is one my sweet husband loves and even my two and four year olds will devour it.
- 1 lb hamburger (I usually buy Laura’s lean beef. Grassfed beef here is expensive and this is a good compromise choice for us.)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 tsp mustard
- 5 tbsp brown sugar (I use sucanat which works wonderfully here.)
- 2 tbsp Chili powder
- Tomato sauce (if needed, this is not something that I ever need to add and it works well but if your chili is a little dry you may add a few spoonfuls.)
***Most of my ingredients are organic and this recipe is delicious with homemade ketchup.
* Brown hamburger, drain grease
* Mix ketchup, mustard, & brown sugar separately, then add to hamburger
* Add chili powder
* Let it simmer for about 5-10 minutes or so to cook together (sometimes I will allow it to simmer longer and the flavors really mix together.)
This chili is delicious. I try to buy nitrate/nitrite free hotdogs but we don’t eat them terribly often so they are another compromise food sometimes. I love my hot dog loaded down with chili, onions, mustard, and homemade cole slaw (just a little shredded cabbage with mayonnaise and pepper). This chili is so good that I can eat it straight from the bowl too!
Do you have a favorite chili recipe?
No related posts.